Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Dynamic History

I’m still processing all the history I took in while visiting Boston a couple of weeks ago. It was one of those “if only I had more time” experiences. However, truth be told, there will never be enough time for me to learn all that I want about the American Revolution. History is not static—there are discoveries still being made about that era. In New York, an excavating company recently unearthed what is believed to be a burial ground for hundreds of soldiers from the war. It seems that every year new books surface with fresh information about the generals, battles, and events of the conflict. And just the other day I downloaded an application called “Revolutionary War” to my cell phone. I just have to touch a small icon, and instantly I have a wealth of history at my fingertips. It gives me “on this day” information, and when I do a simple word search (“Revere,” “Bunker Hill,” etc.) I am provided with reading material, facts, quotes, and trivia about this pivotal moment in our county’s history.

No comments: